FULFILLMENT & SHIPPING SPECIALIST
Reports to: Mark Overbay, Founder & President
Classification: Full-time, Hourly
Start Date: May 8, 2017
The Fulfillment & Shipping Specialist works directly with Customer Relations and Production to coordinate the fulfillment of all orders, e.g. wholesale, retail, donations, etc. The ideal candidate has a background in food production, logistics, and/or manufacturing and warehouse management with first-hand knowledge of shipping, receiving, and inventory control. The ideal candidate also will possess basic mechanical and technical skills and possess the motivation to grow in responsibility as the business grows in size and scope.
Under the direction of management, this role performs a variety of shipping, receiving, logistics, material handling, and warehouse operations duties. The Fulfillment & Shipping Specialist will also be cross-trained in some aspects of food production.
This role requires an impeccably organized, safety-minded, customer-focused, detail-oriented person with a strong understanding of lean business principles, as well as sharp organizational skills, computer literacy, creative problem solving skills, and teamwork.
- Manage packaging materials for daily shipments, including labeling of bags and boxes.
- Communicates fulfillment needs for deliveries to local customers (Raleigh, Durham, CH).
- Run daily e-commerce reports and coordinate fulfillment with Production.
- Pack and ship all orders.
- Personally handle daily UPS pick up and serve as primary liaison with UPS and other shipping and freight providers.
- Manage receiving log and keep organized files of shipping activity and vendor relations.
- Work with Production Team Members to ensure all orders are filled, packed, and shipped in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Communicate with the Production Team Leader and/or management about any inventory shortages, errors, and safety concerns.
- Learn and follow Good Manufacturing Practices as written in the Big Spoon Roasters Operating Policy.
- Perform Daily/weekly/monthly maintenance and cleaning of select production and warehouse equipment.
- Contact shipper(s) and arranges for pickup.
- Receive pick list for each day’s production needs and match produced goods to outgoing invoices.
- Receive inbound materials and file packing slips.
- Load outbound materials onto trucks and freight vehicles.
- Operate and maintains forklift and other tools required for storage and fulfillment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, use hands and fingers and regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Normal vision, with or without correction, is required for the performance of this job.
- Other projects, as necessary, to help the department be successful.
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to stand or walk 8 hours per day.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs many times throughout the day.
- Be self-directed when needed, but comfortable taking direction and asking questions.
- Proficiency in basic mathematical skills to include addition, subtraction, multiplication and fractions to be able to calculate square footage, etc.
- Must be able to read a ruler to within 1/16 of an inch and accurately use a calculator to measure and calculate effectively.
- Proficiency with UPS Worldship software, Google Docs (cloud computing), and Microsoft Office.
- Positive attitude and a proactive approach to contributing to our collective success.
This job requires an extended, self-motivated training/probationary period. The following list of goals must be accomplished within 3 months (90 days) of being hired. All resources necessary to accomplish these goals will be made available. If the following goals are not accomplished, a permanent position will not be offered.
- Become familiar with all aspects of order fulfillment within the Production department.
- Become familiar with each product that Big Spoon Roasters sells.
- Become familiar with the company structure, policies, personnel, etc.
- Master use of UPS WorldShip software, troubleshooting, and how to solve any issues that may arise related to the company’s shipping needs.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Starting hourly wage of $13.75/hour with potential for increase upon a positive 3-month review.
- Medical insurance reimbursement of up to 50% of group plan premiums.
- Full dental and vision coverage.
- Wellness / Fitness membership reimbursement.
- Local Food CSA reimbursement (redeemed in early spring of each year).
- Matching IRA retirement plan contribution.
- One 10 oz jar of Big Spoon Roasters nut butter per week.