This full-time position is responsible for ensuring the success of all production processes, including daily food production,
sanitation procedures, policy compliance, quality control, and personnel organization. The position works closely with
Management, Marketing, Customer Service, and Shipping in support of sales, fulfillment, and supply chain management.
The responsibilities and duties of this position will evolve on a continual basis depending on the needs and growth of the
business. The position works five days per week (Monday-Friday) and duties can include weekend responsibilities.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Complete management of production processes, including nut roasting, equipment usage, cleaning, policy compliance, scheduling, and division of labor among production team members.
- Lead training of new production employees and help them attain 90-day goals.
- Lead general production space and ingredient organization.
- Lead by example and be the strongest possible embodiment of policy compliance and Big Spoon Roasters’ positive culture and values, which include honesty, integrity, respect, teamwork, and personal responsibility.
- Implement Good Manufacturing Practices and food safety regulations.
- Set each week’s production schedule and staff rotation, adjusting as necessary based on need.
- Lead routine facility cleaning and maintenance.
- Document daily production output and enter lots into Sweet.
- Document new ingredient lots and enter them into Sweet.
- Document new packaging lots and enter them into Sweet.
- Document food safety plan operations.
- Manage ingredient, packaging, tool, and production supply inventories.
- Manage training and ongoing performance assessment of production team members.
- Know each recipe, how it should taste, and how to train others to recognize our signature flavors and textures.
- Serve as a primary liaison among Production, Customer Service, Shipping, and other departments.
- Actively work to connect production team with management and other departments so that all are aligned in terms of mission, goals, and values.
- Participate in, and lead, structured meetings with management regarding production successes, challenges, needs, scheduling, etc.
- Willingness to go above and beyond to get the job done well. For instance, if order fulfillment is on a tight
deadline, this position makes the necessary adjustments to meet our goals, which could include weekend and/or
- Demonstrated passion for, and understanding of, Big Spoon Roasters’ mission and values
- Demonstrated understanding of Big Spoon Roasters’ position as an innovative, integrity-focused business
- Enthusiastic support of Big Spoon Roasters’ growth
- Strong initiative to identify challenges and work toward solutions independently of direction
- Ability to accept direction and/or criticism, learn from mistakes, and move on without ego involvement
- Ability to manage and prioritize daily and weekly tasks
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment
- Mechanical aptitude and comfort working with food production machinery
- Demonstrated sense of hospitality and customer service
- Computer literacy and comfort working on a cloud-based computing system with shared documents
- 5+ years of experience with a food-focused business with management experience a plus
Compensation & Benefits:
- $18.00 / hour with potential for overtime
- Additional benefits after 3 months of full-time employment, e.g. insurance, CSA membership, gym/fitness stipend.
- Annual performance-based review with the potential for increased compensation and responsibility.
Email resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Big Spoon Roasters
Big Spoon Roasters makes handcrafted nut butters and wholesome snack bars in Durham, North Carolina. Our carefully
selected ingredients are sourced directly from local and like-minded producers who share our dedication to authentic
quality. We set the standards for integrity, flavor, and freshness. We believe that our food choices matter, and our mission
is to build a healthier relationship with our planet through delicious, nutritious foods made without compromise.