The women behind the Instagram account @wellnessoperation are two ENT doctors in Chapel Hill, NC, with a passion for wellness and evidence-based nutrition. They make healthy recipes using real ingredients and don’t shy away from taking classic indulgences in a healthier (but still incredibly delicious) direction. Recently, they posted a drool-worthy cinnamon roll recipe made with our Mission Almond Butter. We simply had to share it!
THE RECIPE IS FINALLY HERE. Per all of your requests…these cinnamon rolls are secretly healthy with hardly any sugar and no butter…but the yeast-raised dough makes them tender and delish! These chocolate chunk banana Bread cinnamon rolls are perfect for brunch or a pre-workout snack. 🤭😬
Working with yeast can be scary, but we promise, if you are patient and use lukewarm milk (105-110F), you won’t be disappointed! The flaky, soft dough is SO worth it.
3/4 cup New Barn almond milk, warmed to 105-110F (can sub skim milk)
1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar (white, brown, or coconut, it is to feed the yeast)
One package of active dry yeast
1.5 cups all-purpose flour King Arthur Flour
2 mashed ripe bananas
1 tbsp Big Spoon Roasters Mission Almond Butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 packet of stevia (or sub 1 tbsp sugar)
1/4-1/2 c chocolate chips/chunks
- Stir together the warm milk, sugar, oil, and salt. Sprinkle yeast on top. Wait 10-15 mins and the mixture will froth. Be patient! This is worth it. If your kitchen is cold, this may take a little longer.
- Mix in flour. If the mixture is still wet, add in 1-2 tbsp of flour at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead dough on floured surface for 5 mins, until it quickly springs back when you press with your finger.
- Mix filling ingredients. Taste-if you like it sweeter, then add some coconut sugar.
- Roll dough into a 10 x 14-inch rectangle on a floured surface.
- Spread filling onto dough, we used about 3/4 of it. Leaving a 1-inch border on the two longer sides.
- Roll into a log starting on the long side (roll it tight) and cut into 8 pieces with a serrated knife.
- Place rolls into an oiled pan and let rise for 30-45 mins (until doubled in size).
- Bake at 350F for 15-18 mins
- Drizzle with melted Theo Chocolate and enjoy!!