“First, we eat, then we do everything else.” – M.F.K. Fisher
Being on the shelves at Murray’s Cheese feels like being a small part of history. Murray Greenberg, a Jewish veteran of the Spanish Civil War, opened this institution in 1940 in Greenwich Village, NYC. Greenberg built a strong reputation for his business and sold it in 1970 to his clerk Louis Tudda. An Italian immigrant from Calabria, Tudda catered the store to the neighborhood’s Italian character. For more than 20 years, he focused on stocking the store with pantry staples and big block cheeses.
In 1991, experienced grocer Rob Kaufelt purchased Murray’s and began to travel the world searching for new cheeses to bring back to the U.S. Kaufelt established Murray’s cheese-obsessed culture, with a commitment to excellence. These values led to great success for the small cheese shop. In 2002, they opened their second location in the Grand Central Terminal. Their business has grown to include 600+ wholesale customers, a thriving e-commerce business, year-round educational programs, a full-service restaurant Murray’s Cheese Bar, catering, and state-of-the-art cheese aging caves in Long Island City, NY.
We are so thrilled to be on the shelves at both of their brick and mortar locations in Manhattan. With a relatively small selection of pantry products designed to accompany their cheese, we are honored to be one of them.