Natural Foods Field Representative – Asheville, NC
Reports to: Mark Overbay, Owner / Founder and Mackenzie Props, Marketing & Communications Manager
Classification: Part-time, Hourly + Commission
Start Date: ASAP
Big Spoon Roasters (BSR) is looking for an energetic, outgoing, and dependable Natural Foods Field Representative to promote our uniquely handmade products in the Asheville, NC. As our eyes/ears/mouth on the ground, the Field Rep will build relationships with current wholesale customers, perform regular check-ins to ensure proper merchandising and stock levels, and schedule and perform in-store product demonstrations to boost sales and brand awareness. They will also use their knowledge of the local market to identify and vet potential wholesale customers and work with management to plan and execute a plan for outreach. The ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator, independent, self-motivated, and highly organized.
- Represent BSR on the ground in Asheville, driving sales while educating people about our story, value proposition, and attributes.
- Build relationships with retail buyers, managers, and demo coordinators for current wholesale customers.
- Regularly check product displays to ensure proper merchandising.
- Work with store management to secure preferred merchandising and POS placement for BSR products.
- Identify and vet potential wholesale customers based on thorough knowledge of the local market, retail locations, our product, and food philosophy.
- Work with management to determine and execute new customer outreach plan.
- Organize and execute tasting demonstrations at retail partner locations.
- Communicate with store managers / demo coordinators to determine schedules, product levels, and demo guidelines.
- Engage with customers about unique product attributes and BSR story to generate excitement, build brand awareness, and grow customer loyalty.
- Capture demo results by timely reporting all pertinent info into tracking systems.
- Maintain adequate supplies of demo materials, promotional items, and products at all times.
- Send weekly updates to BSR Marketing & Communications Manager with upcoming demo schedule.
- Create and manage schedule to optimize time.
- Engage with community and like-minded business to find and participate in events (pop-up markets, festivals, races, sponsorship opportunities, etc.)
- Regularly communicate with home office in Durham, NC, regarding needs for events, successes, and challenges.
- Promote local BSR events on social media.
- Have fun (!), laugh and smile while promoting an authentic, handcrafted product! We know this might sound corny, but great food should be fun and pleasurable, you know?
- Must be outgoing / thrive on interacting with the public
- Excellent organization abilities and time management skills
- An authentic passion for food
- Excitement about the Big Spoon Roasters brand, values, and mission
- Highly self-motivated
- Knowledge of food/beverage industry
- Solid understanding of the local market
- Reliable transportation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lift 40 pounds comfortably
- Ability to be on feet for 4-6 hours
- Embrace non-traditional work hours (weekend availability is a must)
Compensation: 5.5% on paid invoices for new wholesale customers developed by the Field Rep, $18 per hour for in-store product demonstrations, travel reimbursement for personal vehicle use (mileage) and public transportation (not including commute). Quarterly bonuses paid out based on agreed-upon goals of sales growth in Field Rep’s region.
Time Commitment: Plan on two 3-hour active demos per week. The sales component is more entrepreneurial so time commitment can vary. Travel will be contained within the Asheville metro area.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrate our employees’ diversity, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, familial or Veteran status. Diversity makes us better.
Sound like a good fit? Please send your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.