How do you make homemade apple cider donuts even tastier?
Top them with this month’s Featured PB&J, Chai Spice Peanut & Almond Butter with Sea Salt + Girl Meets Dirt Balsamic Pear Preserves!
These donuts were simple to make and totally delicious. We adapted a recipe from A Girl Defloured, making them dairy-free in addition to being gluten-free. They’re the perfect seasonal treat!
- 2 cups of unfiltered apple cider
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened – we used Miyoko’s European Style Cultured Vegan Butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend – we used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend contains it)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
For the Topping:
- Heat the cider in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the cider has reduced to ½ cup. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together almond milk and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and set aside. This essentially creates almond buttermilk!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray 2 doughnut pans with gluten-free cooking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, almond buttermilk, vanilla, and reduced cider until combined. Add the flour blend, almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves and beat until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pastry bag (or large zip-top bag and snip about ½ inch off one corner). Carefully pipe mixture into your prepared doughnut pan, filling each well about ½ full. Be careful not to overfill or your donuts will lose their hole when they rise.
- Bake the doughnuts until they spring back when gently touched, about 8-10 minutes.
- Allow donuts to cool a bit, then top with a thin layer of Chai Spice Peanut & Almond Butter and Pear Balsamic Jam!