We are proud sponsors of the Raleigh Distance Project (RDP), a team of six elite runners in Raleigh, NC. These amazing women train hard, so they need a complete, diverse nutrition plan to stay healthy and energetic. They’re excited to share some of their pre- and post-workout recipes with us, like this one for Turmeric Pancakes topped with our Almond Coconut Butter!
From RDP: Turmeric is a natural inflammation fighter that can help reduce stiffness and soreness, two things we feel a lot after a long run! Black pepper increases the benefits of turmeric so be sure not to leave that out. The full-fat canned coconut milk mellows out the turmeric and adds a good dose of healthy fats. These whole-grain, gluten-free pancakes are also a great carb source to curb hangriness after a long run. We top these with a big spoon full of Big Spoon Roasters Almond Coconut Butter because it wouldn’t be the same without it!
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1¼ cup sorghum flour or brown rice flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½-¾ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- ⅔ cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- ½ cup + ⅓ cup water
- 2 eggs (for vegan: 2 tbsp ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp water – let sit 5-10 min)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Big Spoon Roasters Almond Coconut Butter
- Optional: Pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Add wet to dry and mix until well combined. If the batter is too thick slowly add the additional ⅓ cup of water until it reaches the right consistency (should be thinner than cake batter but not like soup).
- Heat a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Either spray the skillet with oil or grease with grass-fed butter.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon batter into pan/skillet. When edges begin to brown and surface of pancake bubbles, flip and cook on the other side.
- Continue until all batter is used. Yield: about 13 pancakes.
- Top with a big spoon full of nut butter and enjoy! Feel free to also add a little maple syrup!