Marketing & Communications Manager
Reports to: Mark Overbay, Co-Founder and President
Classification: Full-time, Salaried
Location: on-site in our Hillsborough, NC office/HQ
ABOUT BIG SPOON ROASTERS
Big Spoon Roasters makes handcrafted nut butters and snack bars from scratch in Hillsborough, NC. Working with only the best possible ingredients sourced directly from local and like-minded producers, we have a mission to build a healthier relationship with our planet through delicious, nutritious foods made without compromise.
The Big Spoon Roasters (BSR) Marketing & Communications Manager is responsible for daily and seasonal marketing of BSR, our products, and services through social media, email newsletters, photography, media relations, and our community of brand ambassadors and wholesale customers.
The key responsibilities of this position are:
- Communicate the mission and values of BSR to the outside world
- Grow consumer awareness of BSR
- Grow social media following and increase engagement
- Grow consumer demand for BSR
- Grow the number of points of distribution that sell BSR products
- Manage marketing key results and initiatives, including the creation and tracking of effective KPIs for each initiative
- Create and execute the BSR marketing plan
- Manage key vendor relationships, e.g., creative, printing, packaging production, social media, PR, and merchandise
- Manage ongoing marketing efforts, including social media, digital ads, collateral, promotions, and newsletters
- Generate ideas for new marketing strategies and tactics
- Manage athlete & brand ambassador sponsorship relationships and related cross-promotional activity including regular updates and upholding promotional agreements
- Serve as primary communicator and “voice” to BSR’s constituents. This includes management of the info (at) bigspoonroasters (dot) com email address.
- Help create, organize, promote, and staff BSR special events.
- Cultivate and manage Marketing Internship program with regional colleges and universities.
- Lead production of engaging visual content, including new product photos and lifestyle imagery using company-provided lighting and photo equipment
- Edit and post new images to website, cloud folders shared with outside partners, and OneDrive
- Create and edit copy to ensure consistent brand voice for new and permanent product offerings
SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT
- Manage BSR social media presence and activity
- Oversee execution of internal content calendar
- Promote various BSR values, mission, and product offerings
- Oversee creation and editing of social media posts and captions. This may include managing an outside social media contractor’s work and/or generating the content from scratch.
- Recruit, lead relationship(s) with, and collaborate with outside creative contractors to identify and create engaging, on-trend content for static posts and Reels
- Supervise and contribute to community engagement, including comments and DM replies, maintaining brand voice and a values-driven communication style.
- Collaborate with sales team to develop account-level plans to grow large-opportunity key accounts and encourage customers to use BSR to meet more of their needs
- Coordinate communications surrounding outside events and collaborations
WHOLESALE CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Periodically meet with key customers to evaluate how well BSR meets their needs and expectations, proactively identify ways to improve the relationships, seek ways to add more value to their businesses, and strengthen supplier-customer relationships
- Create and distribute regular, timely e-newsletters keeping retail partners informed of product launches, suggestions, events, closures, etc.
- Reply to customer reviews on outside sales platforms (like Google)
- Packaging development, from art direction to proofing and printing
- Digital marketing system vetting and integration
- Lead relationship with and collaborate with external marketing agency to ensure effective digital ad execution across multiple platforms
WEBSITE AND ONLINE SHOP (DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER SALES)
- Ensure that all sections of website are updated with most relevant content
- Develop data-driven strategies to boost e-commerce sales
- Create and promote bundles and gift packaging
- Create blog content / recipes
- Implement best practices for SEO
- Ensure website additions are ADA compliant
- Maintain consistent auditing of site to ensure compliance
E-NEWSLETTER AND DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER (DTC) COMMUNICATION
- Build consistent e-mail campaigns for our retail and wholesale audiences
- Build SMS text campaigns and ensure timely, friendly communication with customer outreach via SMS
FROM IDEATION TO DELIVERY, COORDINATE CREATION OF MARKETING MATERIALS
- E.g., Big Spoon Roasters “about us” postcards, stationery, stickers, merch
- Customer-specific sample packets, e.g., targeting distributor customers
- Ability to create, manage, and grow an effective brand messaging strategy
- Ability to effectively speak and write publicly on behalf of the organization
- Ability to create and drive effective marketing initiatives across multiple platforms
- Ability to effectively manage staff and outside contractors
- Ability to contribute to a positive and productive work environment
- 5+ years professional experience in Marketing & Communications roles and/or project management
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and a complete understanding of BSR’s goals, values, and standards. Excellent self-proofreading is a must.
- Experienced aptitude with photography and photo editing
- Expertise with the most popular social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok
- A proactive, self-motivated attitude, focusing on continual improvement
- An ability to take direction and work toward goals independently. A person who needs frequent follow-up or reminders about pending projects will not be suited for this job
- High standards and clear accountability
- Excitement about growth and the challenges and opportunities growth brings
- Ability to thrive in varying routines that require creative and critical thinking daily
- An all-hands-on-deck attitude. Team members of BSR should be willing to roll up their sleeves and tackle a wide range of tasks to help however they can!
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for good food and how it’s made
- Demonstrated understanding of Big Spoon Roasters’ position as an innovative, integrity-focused company
FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Gym / Fitness / Wellness reimbursement
- Local Food CSA reimbursement (redeemed in early spring of each year)
- Matching IRA retirement plan contribution up to 3% of salary
- Quarterly profit-based bonuses
- Team Player Award, Innovation Award, and other performance-based bonuses
- One 13oz jar of Big Spoon Roasters nut butter per week
Big Spoon Roasters provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.