"If a purpose is to be assigned to life, it should be Living." - Anand Damani
Our Lemon Coconut Cashew Butter was practically made for breakfast—it's zesty, creamy, and brightens up any oat or yogurt bowl—but this may just be our new favorite way to enjoy it. These Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Rolls make a delicious dessert, or are just an extra sweet way to start your day.
INGREDIENTSFor the dough:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 4 + tbsp Big Spoon Roasters Lemon Coconut Cashew Butter
- 2 medium lemons
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
INSTRUCTIONSMake the dough:
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Melt 1 stick unsalted butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl or large measuring glass. Add 1 cup whole milk and microwave until warm to the touch (about 100ºF).
- Add 3 large eggs and whisk to combine. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the granulated sugar and 1 packet active dry yeast over the milk mixture and let sit until bubbly and frothy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 4 cups all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons poppy seeds, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the milk mixture. Continue to mix until the dough comes together in a ball and is smooth and elastic to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. Wipe out the bowl and coat it with butter. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, let the 1 stick unsalted butter for the filling sit at room temperature to soften.
- Punch the dough down, then place on a work surface. Roll out to a 16x22-inch rectangle with a longer side closer to you.
- Finely grate the zest of 2 medium lemons into a medium bowl. Add 3/4 cup granulated sugar and use your hands to rub the zest into the sugar.
- Spread the Lemon Coconut Cashew Butter along the dough, then spread the softened stick of butter evenly over that. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over both butters.
- Starting at the bottom, tightly roll the dough up into a 22-inch long log. Cut the log crosswise into 15 (about 1-1/2 inch-wide) pieces. Arrange the rolls cut-side up in the baking dish, 5 across and 3 down, evenly spaced apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the stand mixer bowl. Add the 1 stick unsalted butter and 4 ounces cream cheese for the glaze to the bowl and let sit at room temperature to soften. (Alternatively, place in a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.) About 30 minutes before the rolls are ready, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Uncover the rolls and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, make the glaze.
- Finely grate the zest of 2 medium lemons. Juice 1 of the lemons (about 2 tablespoons).
- Beat the butter and cream cheese with the paddle attachment on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Sift 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt into the bowl and beat until combined. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, and beat until smooth, about 10 seconds.
- When the rolls are ready, place the pan on a wire rack. Immediately spread half the glaze on the rolls. Let cool for 10 minutes, then spread the remaining glaze on the rolls. Serve warm.
Adapted from The Kitchn.