This much I know. If you are what you eat, then I only wanna to eat the good stuff. -Ratatouille
This tasty recipe for Almond Ginger Stir Fry is brought to you by the #bigspoonrunning ambassadors at Raleigh Distance Project. Check out our blog in the coming weeks for the corresponding workout "recipe."From RDP: A good dose of healthy fats with whole grains and protein makes for a great dinner on a hard workout day! Plus, ginger is good for the stomach and the digestive system, which can take a beating during a hard run.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups of water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 lb of chicken breast or tofu
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Stir fry veggies (For convenience on a busy night we like the Trader Joes 18 oz Vegetable Stir Fry Mix found in the fresh vegetable section but otherwise look for local organic veggies!)
- Snap peas, red onion, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers
- Splash of coconut aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
- 5 tbsp Big Spoon Roasters Almond Ginger Nut Butter
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of black pepper
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir. Continue to stir occasionally for 30 sec-1 min or until the rice is lightly toasted
- Add the 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt to the saucepan. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for about 30 min or until all of the water is absorbed. Let sit, stirring occasionally while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- If using the chicken – slice into bite size pieces and season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken or tofu until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken or tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same skillet over medium/high heat, add a splash of coconut aminos/tamari/soy sauce to the pan to deglaze it--this basically means picking up all of the bits of flavor sticking to the bottom of the pan from cooking the chicken. Add the vegetables and cook until they begin to soften, about 5-10min.
- Add the chicken or tofu back in the pan and reduce heat to a simmer. Pour on the sauce and stir.
- Once everything is thoroughly combined turn off the heat.
- Add a half cup of rice to a bowl and top with about a ¼ of the stir fry mixture.