PRODUCTION - NUT BUTTER TEAM LEADER
Reports to: Operations Manager
Classification: Full-time, hourly
ABOUT BIG SPOON ROASTERS
Big Spoon Roasters makes handcrafted nut butters and snack bars from scratch in Durham, NC. Working with only the best possible ingredients sourced directly from local and like-minded producers, we have a mission to build a healthier relationship with our planet through delicious, nutritious foods made without compromise.
This full-time, paid position is responsible for the efficient, consistent, top-quality production of our nut butters. This includes supporting production and inventory planning, machine maintenance and issue troubleshooting, development and oversight of the execution of standard operating procedures, management of daily production activities and resources, and innovation as it relates to nut butter processes. This position works closely with Management and Warehouse & Fulfillment on a daily basis. Big Spoon Roasters is a dynamic, growing business, and the responsibilities and duties of this position will therefore evolve on a continual basis depending on the needs and growth of the company. The position’s schedule of five days per week (Monday-Friday) can include occasional off-hour responsibilities.
- Nut Butter Production & Inventory Planning
- Act as the primary point of contact for production planning and changes to the production plan.
- Ensure that daily production is delivered to plan and any issues or suggested changes are immediately reported to the Operations Manager and/or COO.
- Establish and update team member roles and milestones
- Nut Butter Ingredient and Product Knowledge
- Build a deep understanding of each ingredient and its purpose in the nut butters.
- Able to inspect each ingredient for quality (i.e., taste, texture, foreign objects/insects).
- Possess expert knowledge of how to properly store ingredients.
- Possess expert knowledge of the mixing process, and why we mix ingredients in the order that we do.
- Know each recipe, how it should taste, and how to train others to recognize our signature flavor balance.
- Ensure that all recipes are clearly written in both measurement and detailed execution steps and that recipes in Sweet align with those on the floor. If changes are suggested, propose and support these changes to management.
- Nut Butter Machine & Small Equipment Operations
- Build a comprehensive knowledge of all equipment related to nut butter production, including operating, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures and who to contact to resolve issues.
- Lead the identification and resolution of any issues related to nut butter machines.
- Conduct weekly and daily checks of the accuracy and efficient operations of machines, small equipment, and tools; reporting of any broken tools and small equipment issues and maintenance or replacement needs.
- Daily Nut Butter Production Management
- Understand the daily production flow, knowing when things need to be done and in what order to ensure that daily milestones and weekly production plans are met.
- Ensure that roasting and available ingredient inventory is aligned with the nut butter production plan; support the Bar Team Leader in ensuring that bar butters are produced in advance of bar production runs.
- Understand how to motivate the team to deliver efficient production runs without compromising quality.
- Manage in-the-moment decisions and actions related to resource adjustments, team time management and responsibilities, ingredient integrity, machinery issues, and food and personal safety.
- Coordinate with Operations Manager, Production Manager, and Bar Lead on team member roles and priorities for the day.
- Provide clear direction and in-the-moment feedback to team members assigned on a given day to nut butter production.
- Ensure that all team members in the nut butter area on a given day are meeting or exceeding company standards for cleanliness, efficiency/milestones, attitude, collaboration, and communication.
- Immediate identification and management/escalation of any team member illnesses, injuries, performance, or related concerns to management.
- Organization & Documentation
- Ensure the capture and accuracy of all production and food safety logs related to nut butter production and quality control.
- Oversee a clean and orderly nut butter production and WIP/ingredient storage area and coordinate with the Bar Lead, Production Manager, and Operations Manager to maintain an organized shared ingredient room.
- Verify that all ingredients and WIP (e.g. roasted nuts) are properly labeled and stored.
- Lead routine facility cleaning and maintenance in the nut butter area.
- Team Training
- Lead effort to train each production team and swing team member on all nut butter team roles, skill blocks, equipment cleaning and maintenance, ingredient integrity, and quality and safety measures.
- Develop and maintain SOPs and skill blocks for all aspects of nut butter production and roles.
- Develop and maintain SOPs and skill blocks for equipment maintenance.
- Contribute to annual reviews and regular feedback throughout the year for production team members.
- Able to work well as a member of the team while also guiding the team to deliver an efficient and top-quality production run
- Act as an example to others of a positive, hard-working team member who models all company policies and procedures
- Ensure that management understands the needs and concerns of the production team; provide input into new policies and procedures; help all team members to understand the logic and need behind new and existing company policies to support their effective implementation.
- Exceptional attention to detail, concentration, and focus
- Desire to own and learn from mistakes without ego involvement
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a closely knit team
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for good food
- Demonstrated understanding of Big Spoon Roasters’ position as an innovative, integrity-focused company
- Basic technical aptitude and/or willingness to learn equipment details
- Familiarity with MS Office and other organizational computer tools
- At least three years of experience with a food-focused business, and at least one in a position of leadership
- Experience with food safety, food handling, and/or HACCP certification. A willingness to be part of the HACCP team and follow HACCP principles and lead by example.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- $16.50 / hour with potential for overtime
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, wellness benefit, CSA benefit, and retirement benefit after successful 90-day review
- Quarterly profit-based bonuses
- Innovation Award and other performance-based bonuses
- One 13oz jar of Big Spoon Roasters nut butter per week
Big Spoon Roasters provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.